Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

panclocks

Yesterday was wonderful! It was a holiday here in Brisbane; the sun was shining down and the temperature was nice and toasty! It’s a new concept for me to have a holiday on a Wednesday but it broke up the week nicely. We took Lily to the beach again (and ended up taking some of the beach home with us as usual) for a nice swim and stick chase. I don’t know why but every time I’m near the water I want to eat fish and chips. So fish and chips is now on my post competition day menu :P

One thing I like to do on weekends is make pancakes for breakfast, so yesterday was a perfect opportunity to get in an extra batch! About four years ago when I started learning about clean eating, I came across an excellent protein pancake recipe that was quick and delicious. One catch is that you need a blender to make them. I’ve been blenderless for the past two years and now I’m happy to say I’m the proud owner of a new blender and it’s going to get a lot of use! Here’s the deets:

1 cup whole grain rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup fat free cottage cheese
6 egg whites (1 egg white = 2 tbsp if you have the liquid stuff)
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp cinnamon
4 tsp sugar (I sub this for about ½-1 tsp natural stevia sweetener)

Just put all ingredients into a blender and it comes out just like regular pancake batter! Instead of yummy maple syrup and butter I simmer about 2 cups of frozen mixed berries in a small pot on the stove to boil out the water and make a fruit syrup. This recipe makes about 6 pancakes so it’s perfect for two. There is about 30g of protein and 240 calories in three pancakes. And for those visual people like me, here are some pics (enjoy our temporary retro plates :P)!

4 comments:

  1. These sound good. Oddly enough I've had a hankering for pancakes lately but regular pancakes would probably annihilate my day before 9am. So for the sauce/topping all you do is heat the berries and dump them on top? And are they going to turn out terrible if I use quick oats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I've never made them with quick oats so I'm not sure. If you try it, let me know how it works out.
      Yep, just heat up the berries! I tend to squash them down a bit with my spatula to squeeze out some more juice.

      Delete
    2. Made them this morning with regular quick oats. Pretty awesome and I have enough left over for tomorrow's breakfast too.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad they worked out! It must be a nutritional reason that they suggest to use the non instant oats. I'm whipping up a batch this morning too!

      Delete